Much of the participation CASK receives from its membership centers around brewing competition and evaluation of beer. There’s is nothing more important to a brewer’s development than real time feedback from a beer that they’ve brewed. The CASK Interklub Competitions, held at our monthly meetings, are meant to provide brewers with valuable feedback, constructive criticism, recommendations for improvement, and recognition for well brewed beer. Brewers who have entered beers into monthly Interklub competitions will not only be evaluated against the classic style that they have entered, but they will also receive credit for the style brewed, which is attributed toward their Brewer Rankings. Due to the limited number of judges and time before the meeting, a limit of one entry per monthly Interklub Competition per member will be imposed.
Monthly CASK Interklub Competitions also provide a learning opportunity for those interested in evaluating beer as a BJCP judge or those who are just curious about the various styles of beer. From a judging standpoint, CASK competition organizers will always pair an experienced judge with another equally or less experienced judge. It is CASK’s intent to provide experienced and qualitative feedback on all entered beers in the form of score-sheets, which contain scores & comments for aroma, appearance, flavor, mouth-feel, and overall impression.
Interklub Competition Schedule (Note: CASK now follows the 2021 BJCP guidelines)
- January – CASK Annual Banquet
- February – Bocks (4C, 6C, 9A, 9B, 10C)
- March – Irish & British Stouts (BJCP Cat 15B, 15C, 16)
- April – German Wheat Beers (BJCP Cat. 10 & 23A)
- May – Smoked Beers Are Back Baby! (BJCP Cat. 6B & 32)
- June – International & European Lagers: Amber & Dark (BJCP Cat. 2B, 2C, 3C, 3D, 4C, 6, 7A, & 8)
- July – First Coast Cup!
- August – Let’s Rye It! (BJCP Cat. 21B-Rye IPA, 27-Roggenbier & Sahti, & 31A (10-20% rye minimum))
- September – October Fest is Here (BJCP Cat. 4B & 6A)
- October – Abbaye Normale (BJCP Cat. 24, 25, 26)
- November – Autumn Ales & Winter Warmers (BJCP Cat. 30B & 30C)
- December – Officer Choice Competition (TBD)
- January (2024) – CASK Annual Banquet
- February (2024) – Meads (BJCP Cat. M1, M2, M3)
- March (2024) – Wild and Sour (BJCP Cat. 23B thru G, 27-Lichtenhainer, 28, & X4A)