Comp de L’abbaye Normale
Held annually, the Comp de L’abbaye Normale is a Belgian competition that is one of the most anticipated competitions on the brewing calendar. As this Belgian competition has evolved, we have received more and more support from the local craft breweries. This year is no different!
FOR 2023, WE ARE LEAVING THE COMPETITION OPEN TO NON-KLUB MEMBERS
2023 Comp de L’abbaye Normale – Belgian Competition has garnered support from most, if not all, of the major craft brewers in the Jacksonville area. The fortunate brewer who’s beer is selected as winner of the following categories, will have the honor of working with the associated head brewer and scaling up their recipe for mass consumption and ultimate glory. This competition will be accepting
all Belgian substyles in the BJCP 2021 guidelines: 21-IPA:21B-Belgian IPA, 24-Belgian Ale, 25-Strong Belgian Ale, and 26-Monastic Ale (updated 8/23/2023). Belgian substyles that are not sponsored can be entered and will be judged against each in an open Belgian category for first, second, and third place medals. Please note the categories/breweries below:
2023 Participating Breweries:
- Historically Hoppy Brewing Company – Belgian IPA (BJCP 21B)
- King Maker Brewing – Witbier (BJCP 24A)
- Bold City Brewery – Belgian Blond Ale (BJCP 25A)
- Southern Swells Brewing Co – Saison (BJCP 25B) **No Sour Beers**
- Hyperion Brewing Co – Belgian Dubbel (BJCP 26B)
- Myrtle Avenue Brewing – Belgian Dark Strong Ale (BJCP 26D)
Note: All other Saisons that ARE sour beers will be judged in the open Belgian category
Important Dates (updated: 8/9/2023)
- Note some dates have changed.
- Entry window: August 7th to September 21st.
- Entry drop off: September 5th to the 22nd.
- Just Brew It, Water Rasco, 2670 Rosselle St, Jacksonville, FL 32204, (904) 381-1983.
- Sorting and labeling:
September 23rd.September 24th.
- Judging sessions:
September 24th,September 30th, & October 1st, and October 7th & the 8th as needed (see below).
- Awards Ceremony: October 14th, CASK klub meeting.
Entry Guidelines (updated: 8/23/2023)
- 80 Total Entries.
- Entry limit per brewer will be 3 entries per brewer.
- Entry Fee: $4 CASK Members, $7 Non-CASK Members.
- Only two entries are allowed per sub-category.
- You will need to provide (3) bottles per entry.
- Brown or green glass bottles with no raised lettering and with gold or silver caps. No distinguishing markings will be allowed.
- An individual may only win one sponsored category. If an individual winner wins more than one category they will select their preferred brewery to brew at and the 2nd place winner in the category not selected will brew at that category’s sponsoring brewery.
- Six sponsored categories (see 2023 Participating Breweries) and a seventh open category for other Belgian styles not sponsored.
- Recently added 999A – Other Belgian Base Beer: This is only if your entry does not fit the current Belgian base styles. In this case, Reggie Beer Style Parameters: Underlying style (optional) and Style info (optional) are not optional, you must state this information for the judges. To clear up any confusion, the Underlying style is still this competition’s base beers of 21B-Belgian IPA, 24, 25, and 26, sorry for any confusion.
Judging (updated: 8/9/2023)
- All judging will be at King Maker Brewing (720 King St, Jacksonville, FL 32204).
- The judging schedule has been posted in Reggie, so please sign up (here), the click the “Judges/Stewards” button in the middle of the page.
- Stewards can sign up at the above link as well.
- The judging schedule is as follows:
- September 30th, Saturday; two sessions, 1st session starts at 10AM and the 2nd session starts at 1:15PM.
- October 1st, Sunday; two sessions, 1st session starts at 10AM and the 2nd session starts at 1:15PM.
- October 7th, Saturday; two sessions, 1st session starts at 10AM and the 2nd session starts at 1:15PM.
- October 8th, Sunday (optional); two sessions, 1st session starts at 10AM and the 2nd session starts at 1:15PM.
- Also, one Virtual session was created for local take home only. If you are interested in partnering with another judge and taking a flight home, please let me (Rick) know.
- Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be provided between sessions.
Congratulations to our 2022 winning brewers and the associated breweries!
- Tabula Rasa Brewing – Witbier Winning Brewer: Ian Dibble (CASK)
- King Maker Brewery – Saison Winning Brewer: Jesse Johnson (CASK)
- SJ Brewing – Belgian Pale Ale Winning Brewer: Rick Terrio (CASK)
- Legacy Ale Works – Belgian Blonde Ale Winning Brewer: Clint Shannon (Brewers Anonymous)
- Ink Factory – Belgian Golden Strong Winning Brewer: Michael Carver (CASK)
- Aardwolf Brewing – Belgian Dubbel Winning Brewer: Kevin True (Hogtown)